Thursday, May 01, 2008

hpoeng07.exe ate my PC

Just a quick post. I hope it gets indexed by google as this is a nasty one. A document got stuck somehow on our Hewlett Packard G series and hpoeng07.exe ran t0 99% of processor time blocking everything else out or slowing it to a crawl. I checked the printer manager and a document seemed to be stuck. i tried to delete it but could not. I think the spooler was basically trying over and over to free itself which is what was stealing the processor.

After many tries the solution:

1. Ran the task manager (hold CTRL and ALT keys with left hand then dab DEL withright to show)

2. When to the process tab list and selected hpoeng07.exe Clicked end process

3. As I had the printer list open I noticed theprinter was also deleted. (If it isn't try deleting it now the hpoeng07.exe process has been stopped)

4. Obviously if you restart teh machine at this point the problem may just come back. So what I did was added the printer with the same name in the printers list. i.e. I went Add Orinter, followed the steps and ensured it had the same name as it originally did. Seems to be working and this instance of the printer should hopefully block the stuck one from reappearing when if the machine restarts.


The file is from quite old HP printers nearing the end of their life but I hope this tip helps someone!



The tech. bloke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home